Saturday, September 10, 2016

LAWN HILL GORGE


From Atherton we headed west with a place called Lawn Hill camp grounds where we heard you can paddle down the gorge up to the water falls.

So we hit the road.


Much of the roads on the 'Savannah Way' are sealed however room only for one vehicle so you need to move off to the side of the road to allow oncoming traffic to pass


It gets a little tricky when the road trains come barrelling toward you.  In one instance a road train carrying cattle refused to budge from the bitumen and forced us completely off the road.  Lucky we were told by a friend in Atherton this could happen so we were sort of ready for it otherwise could have been a little ugly.


and the road continues


As a part of the Governments road development sections of this Savannah Way have been upgraded so you go from bad roads to good to bad back to good over and over.


Good


Ahh yes Karen did I tell you about the time a road train forced me off the road and I had to take urgent evasive action.  Quite a marvellous driving effort really!


We pulled into a nice little town in Georgetown to refuel and take on water and found this amazing looking plant.


And continued on our way.....

Bad!


We settled on camping at a place called Gilbert River and which is certainly at a low point during this dry period



Heading out the next day I ran into a little issue with the law!  Apparently Stop means Stop!


So I was taken to Croyden where they have the local court house for trial.


The Constable gave evidence to the Judge.


I pleaded and pleaded my case but apparently didn't have a leg to stand on.



So I decided to hang on to my new girl cause Karen decided she didn't want any part of a jail birds life.

But I was framed!  Please Officer let me explain, I didn't realise she was your wife!


It was only a short fling!  Please Orificer!


So that didn't really help so I decided to get some rest and think about my next move overnight.


Ahhhhh they didn't realise I had this piece of wire in my back pocket and that I was a master safe cracker in a previous life!


Easy


So guess who walks out to freedom!  You may take our lives but you will never take our freedom!


Better call into get some more supplies before we hit the road


Karen was so appalled at my behaviour that she decided to embark on a new career in nursing.

Nurse, nurse I can't feel my legs!


There, there sonny boy, once I get through with you, you won't be feeling much at all!


Now which one of these did the doctor say removes the heart?....


And with a local store aptly named after Karen's medical procedure prowess  


it was time for us both to continue on our adventure to Lawn Hill Gorge

I see a bad moon rising.....


We pulled up at a roadhouse and saw this little home made job,


with a chimney and all!


home sweet home




another one of those roads to drive on...

and it sort of got worse as we drove on,


for about 50km we were down to about 25kph!


But was worth it by the time we got to the gorge



Waterfalls


Sunsets


music and an inflatable toy dingy


more waterfalls


tourist boats



Karens


water that is falling


more Karens


Trying to find a freshwater crocodile is sometimes harder than you would think




Hey Karen can you hear something?



Pedal power people


Climb Kaz, climb


Yellow tree


What you looking at eh?!!


Who's that handsome fella?



Here comes the bride
 Here comes the bride


Time to deploy the SS Dolphin toy dingy


The beautiful gorge



Row Mark row!




Up and close




Hello there First Mate Karen!






Time to hit the road back to Gregory Downs before we hit to long road across the top of Australia


Time for some cool rest before taking off


Gregory Downs what a spot!

Swim Mark swim


Going backwards


Who dat?


Refreshments anyone?





Ello little fella


And out the middle of no where, hundreds of kms from the nearest town turns up an ice cream van!  What the!  Needless to say he made a killing.



and time to hit the long road from Queensland to Northern Territory and our destination of Katherine and the beautiful Edith Falls.




No comments:

Post a Comment